The Center for Medical Interoperability, a nonprofit organization focused on accelerating the seamless exchange of health information, has announced its board of directors.
The center was founded in 2013 using $10 million in funding with the Gary and Mary West Foundation and support from the Gary and Mary West Health Institute, a nonprofit medical research organization aimed at lowering the costs of healthcare while improving its quality.
The Center for Medical Interoperability in particular aims to create a platform to achieve a “plug-and-play interoperability,” meaning the ability of two or more systems to seamlessly share and use information.
“The current lack of plug-and-play interoperability between medical devices, applications, enterprise systems and EHRs hinders physicians from quickly and easily being able to access information that aids in making the best decisions for patients,” said Michael Johns, MD, founding chairman of the center’s board of directors.
Here are the newly announced board members of the Center for Medical Interoperability.
- Michael M.E. Johns, MD: Founding chairman
- Jeffrey Balser, MD, PhD: Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Dean, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (Nashville, Tenn.)
- William Carpenter III: Chairman and CEO, LifePoint Hospitals (Brentwood, Tenn.)
- Dean Harrison: President and CEO, Northwestern Memorial HealthCare (Chicago)
- Milton Johnson: Chairman and CEO, Hospital Corporation of America (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Stephen Jones: President and CEO, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Robert Wood Johnson Health System (New Brunswick, N.J.)
- Thomas Priselac: President and CEO, Cedars-Sinai Health System (Los Angeles)
- Jon Pryor, MD: CEO, Hennepin Healthcare System (Minneapolis)
- Paul Rothman, MD: CEO, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Dean, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore)
- Michael Schatzlein, MD: Market leader of Indiana and Tennessee Ministries, Ascension Health (St. Louis)
- Joseph Smith, MD, PhD: CMO and chief science officer, West Health Institute (La Jolla, Calif.)
- Wayne Smith: Chairman, president and CEO: Community Health Systems (Franklin, Tenn.)
- Nicholas Valeriani: CEO, West Health (San Diego)
- Chris Van Gorder: President and CEO, Scripps Health (San Diego)